Skip to main content
You are here
Chemical & Environmental Safety Committee (CESC)
Duties and Responsibilities of the Chemical and Environmental Safety Committee are as follows:
- Provide expert advice to the Chancellor on issues related to chemical and environmental safety, and implementation of the UCSF Integrated Safety and Environmental Management System (ISEMS);
- Review technical, environmental and safety-related aspects of laboratory research and the use of hazardous and toxic substances;
- Continuously review and update UCSF's ISEMS and the laboratory safety manual;
- Certify that facilities, procedures and practices have been reviewed and approved;
- Promulgate a chemical and environmental safety program in conjunction with OEH&S that encourages best laboratory practices and satisfies federal, state and local laws and regulations;
- Arbitrate campus disagreements regarding laboratory practices and limit or revoke, as authorized by the Chancellor, and investigator's authority to use hazardous or toxic materials if such use presents a hazard to individuals or violates health and safety codes.
- Review a chemical use authorization (CUA) process to ensure that all labs using high hazard chemicals (HHCs) develop standard operating procedures that describe how to safely handle HHCs.