Laboratory Clearance

All laboratories (chemical, biological, and radiological) must undergo a laboratory clearance prior to being retired, remodeled, renovated, cleaned, or relocated*.

When performing a laboratory clearance involving controlled substances, the following procedures must be followed. For additional information, refer to the UCSF Controlled Substances Program Manual:

  1. Intent to dispose: Submit completed “UCSF Controlled Substances Schedule II / Schedule III-V Disposal Request Form” to EH&S.
  2. Intent to transfer: Submit written request for transfers of controlled substances to Controlled Substances Officer (CSO). Receiving Principal Investigator (PI) must have current Controlled Substances Authorization (CSA) and same Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) registration (same campus location). Indicate amount transferred for each vial on Controlled Substances Transfer form. Refer to UCSF Controlled Substances Program Manual, Sec. K.
  3. Intent to retire: Submit in writing intent to retire CSA to CSO. Dispose all controlled substances and submit online inventory indicating “zero quantity.”
  4. Relocation: Authorized user listed in the CSA may transport controlled substances to new location within the same DEA registration. If this is not the case, contact CSO for assistance. CSA must be modified to reflect new location.
  5. Empty vials: Dispose of unused or expired controlled substances as well as empty vial containers through EH&S. If there is no usable amount of controlled substance left in a vial, the empty vial can be disposed in the regular trash after defacing the label.

EH&S must confirm clearance is complete in all cases prior to retiring or modification of CSA.

*Refer to the EH&S Move Guide for complete information regarding major relocations to another building.