Transferring Controlled Substances

Small quantities of Controlled Substances can be transferred with the approval of

Jason Mata, Controlled Substances Officer, (phone: 415-476-6074).

The following criteria must be met:

  • Both CSAs must be on the same DEA registration (same campus location).
  • Both labs must have active CSAs.
  • Receiving lab must be approved for the controlled substance.
  • Quantity transferred must be within the purchase limit.
  • Both labs must maintain documentation of the approved transfer.
  • Send copies of transfer to EH&S, Box 0942 or email to Jason Mata.

Note: Upon laboratory closure or termination of employment, all Controlled Substances must be disposed in accordance with UCSF policies and procedures. Controlled Substances may not be transferred to another institution under any circumstances.