Scheduling N-95 Respiratory Fit-Testing Appointments
UCSF makes all reasonable efforts to protect the health and safety of its faculty, staff, and students. This commitment extends to controlling respiratory hazards.
The most effective ways to control air contaminants that create respiratory hazards are to institute prescribed engineering controls and to follow correct work practices. Respirators should only be used when engineering and administrative methods fail or additional protection is needed. Respirator protection is not intended to be a substitute for adequate engineering controls or proper work practices.
The UCSF Respiratory Protection Program outlines the policies and procedures concerning the use of respirators by UCSF personnel.
Supervisors must ensure:
- Employees using respirators receive medical evaluation and respirator fit testing/training.
- Availability of appropriate respirators and accessories.
- Adequate storage facilities and proper respirator equipment maintenance.
- Employees ‘awareness of tasks requiring the use of respiratory protection.
- Employees engaged in such work use the appropriate respirator at all times.
- Reporting of problems, such as changes in equipment or procedures that may affect employee exposure or respirator suitability, to EHS.
Occupational Health Services (OHS)
- OHS conducts health evaluations for all personnel who may wear respirators.
N-95 Respiratory Fit-Testing
EH&S offers two options for fit testing:
All personnel MUST have a medical clearance on file with UCSF Occupational Health Services prior to fit testing as required by Cal OSHA regulation Title 8, Section 5144 (e) (1) https://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/5144.html. Appointments are subject to cancellation if medical clearances are not on file.
The medical clearance questionnaire is available on the EH&S website . Please fax completed form to OHS at (415) 514 – 5614, or contact Occupational Health Services at 415-885-7580 if you have questions regarding completed medical clearance. EH&S does not accept or review questionnaires.