EH&S has partnered with Aramark to provide free lab coat laundry service for all campus research staff. This will be funded by EH&S, so there is no cost to the lab. Currently, we are only servicing the Parnassus Campus. Details will be available when laundry service is ready for the Mission Bay and satellite campuses.
Important: If your lab coat is potentially contaminated with hazardous materials (biological, chemical, radioactive), DO NOT send it in for laundering. Refer to the following chart for decontamination procedures.
How to get your coat laundered:
1. Request a laundry envelope from EH&S by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or your EH&S specialist.
2. Electronically fill in the required information on the Aramark barcode label form and print one out for each coat. For UCSF distributed coats, please have the owner of the lab coat(s) listed on the barcode form if they are still employed at your lab. (Link to barcode form)
A. Lab Member’s Name
B. PI Name
D. Room Number
We will not process your lab coat for laundry if any of the above information is missing.
3. Place the completed barcode form inside the envelope. (An envelope without a form will make the coat unidentifiable.)
4. Empty the pockets, fold, and place your dry lab coat in the envelope.
A. Only use one envelope per lab coat.
B. Any items found in the pockets will be disposed of.
5. Drop off the sealed envelope in the PPE laundry drop box at the described location.
Drop Off Locations:
For Parnassus and Mt. Zion Campus
Picture of Drop
EH&S Radioactive Materials Receiving Laboratory
505 Parnassus Avenue
Open Monday through Friday from 8-12pm
Enter through the loading dock and head up the ramp. Turn left and then right into L235. At the end of the hallway turn left and L235G will be on your right. Hit the buzzer to be let in.
Health Sciences Building East
10th floor - adjacent to corridor
Mount Zion Research Center
For Mission Bay Campus
|Location||Picture of Drop|
Byers Hall / QB3
4th floor - lobby next to room BH 415
1st floor - adjacent to security office (RH 103A)
Smith Cardiovascular Research Building
1st floor - across from glasswash room 191
Helen Diller Cancer Center
1st floor- next to service elevator
For Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital
2nd floor - next to room 255
2nd floor - across from the elevator
1st floor - across from room 112B, North East stairway lobby
1. Does this count as contaminated?
If in doubt, ask your DSA or contact email@example.com
2. What can I send in for wash?
Traditional, Barrier, and Flame Resistant (blue) lab coats. This service is not for scrubs and gowns.
3. How long does the process take?
Coats will be cleaned and returned to EH&S within two weeks of being sent out. Laundered lab coats will be delivered directly to researchers on campus.
4. Where’s my coat?
If you do not receive your cleaned lab coat within three weeks, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Can I send in my lab coats that were not from the PPE Distribution event or issued by EH&S?
Yes, just make sure to include the barcode form
6. I’m a new employee, how do I get lab coats?
Go to PPE Procurement page (link)
7. This wasn’t my coat
8. Can I keep my old laundry service?
Sure. If opting out of this free program, your lab coats must be laundered by a laundry service that adheres to Title 8, Section 5193 of the California Code of Regulations. Do not wash your lab coat at home.
9. How do I pay?
You don’t, it’s free!
10. What do we do about our guest/general lab coats?
For UCSF distributed coats, please have the owner of the lab coat(s) listed on the barcode form if they are still employed at your lab.
For the general use or guest lab coats, put the PI or lab manager as the lab member to whom the coat belongs