Online Controlled Substance Authorization & Controlled Substance Disposal Waste forms


Online Controlled Substance Authorization

The Office of Environment Health and Safety is pleased to announce the release of online Controlled Substance Authorization (CSA). You may now submit a new application, renew and request a modification in Research Information Online (RIO). Access RIO with the username and password you use for online trainings.


• Faster, more transparent reviews and approvals

• Centralized, coordinated electronic documents

• Convenient, 24/7 reference to approved experiments, security and training requirements

• Improved health protection and compliance

• Enormous decrease in paper use

Effective 12/20/2010:

• All new and renewal CSA applications as well as modifications must be submitted online.

• New and renewal applications submitted on the paper form will no longer be accepted.


• Only the PI may initiate a new online CSA application.  

• Only the PI and the designated lab contact may submit renewal or modification requests.

• Any user listed on a CSA may view the online CSA.

• A CSA user may change his/her profile information by logging in to RIO and selecting the “User Options” tab. The PI or lab contact may not make changes to any user’s profile (other than their own).

Instructions and Help:

• General and technical information are on the RIO login page.

• Subject-specific instructions are throughout the CSA.


Controlled Substance Disposal Waste forms

The United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) requires Schedule II controlled substances records be separated from records of Schedule III – V controlled substances. To comply with these regulations, EH&S has developed two controlled substance waste disposal forms: one for Schedule II and one for Schedule III-V. To request a controlled substance waste pick up, complete the correct form

·  Controlled Substance Schedule II Disposal Form

·  Controlled Substance Schedule III-V Disposal Form 

For more information or assistance, contact your Environment Health and Safety Specialist or the Controlled Substance Officer (Kelly Nguyen @ 476-3328