Controlled Substance Use Authorization Permits

The UCSF campus is registered with the DEA for all research activities involving Schedule II through V Controlled Substances including precursor chemicals. To work with Controlled Substances, you must have a Controlled Substance Authorization (CSA) approved by the UCSF, EH&S Controlled Substance Program.

The process of obtaining a Controlled Substance Authorization (CSA) can be found in the Controlled Substance safety manual and on this website.  Applications are provided under Forms.  Completed application and all associated required forms should be submitted to your EHS Specialist

Schedule I substances require direct registration with the DEA. Once your research is approved for Schedule I substances, you must notify the EH&S. This material will be added to your Controlled Substance Authorization (CSA) and is subject to EH&S inspection.

If your research involves one of the following Controlled Substances, you must also obtain approval from the Research Advisory Panel of California (RAPC) for research involving:

  • Any research, human or non-human, of Schedule I Controlled Substance
  • Academic human research of Schedule I or Schedule II Controlled Substance
  • Clinical drug trial protocols evaluating or comparing any Schedule II Controlled Substances
  • Research for the treatment of drug addiction or abuse utilizing any drug, scheduled or not

Note:  Do not apply to the RAPC if you will be using Schedule II (in non-human research) III, IV or V Controlled Substances.